ISO 14001 is a framework developed by the International Organization of Standards for companies that want a system to manage their environmental responsibilities. The standard is used by organizations to establish and maintain an Environmental Management System (EMS) that is fully integrated with their operational processes.
The five key elements of ISO 14001 are:
- Development of an Environmental Policy
- Planning how the policy will be fully integrated with the business operations
- Implementation and Operation the day to day of the policies
- Checking the effectiveness of the policies and identifying opportunities for improvement
- Management Review to ensure adherence to the policy at all levels in the organization
The principal of Continual Improvement is fundamental to the Environmental Management System. This includes improved communications and employee awareness, increasingly stringent environmental performance, and more effective emergency planning and response programs. In 2019, ISO 14005 was added to assist smaller organizations with implementing ISO 14000 in a phased approach.
ISO 14001 is one of several ISO standards related to EHS and ESG management programs.
ISO 14001 Training and Certification
Companies looking to implement ISO 14001, or provide employee training can do so through our partner, Advisera who offer a wide range of online ISO training material and certification programs. Here is a link to Advisera’s ISO 14001 content.